2017-05-28: Laying floor, fixing rust

Yep, more of the same this weekend. We had hoped to fit the new window on Saturday but we have the wrong knock-on trim, so after much rushing around car parts dealers, and phoning suppliers, we gave up on that task, and switched to some jobs we’re already working good news is, we managed to finish the underfloor insulation and fit the new floor (after much deliberation, with short, self-drilling screws). And Amy has done most of the rust cleanup on the top of the van.

All the foam strips in the floor channels fitted. I had imagined this was going to be a tidier job, but in the end, I just had to put up with the messiness. It will all be covered up…
Laying out the underlay on top of the foam strips
I used small plywood shims at all the edges of the floor panels so they were well supported
I’m checking the underside of the van to see where the screws will emerge as we drill through the metal floor. Don’t want to hit anything else…
I marked out on the underlay where all the channels were. I tranferred these marks to the plywood, so I knew where to drill when fixing down the floor
All the underlay down and taped together
Wooden floor finally installed. We will probably cover this with lino at some point
Filling and painting the rusted dents in the roof

2017-05-24: Floor underlay and rust treatment

This week, I’ve been continuing work on the floor. Before we can lay the new plywood floor down, we need to fill the grooves with closed cell foam, and then add a layer of underlay. For this piece, I used the Soudal High Tack adhesive to stick down the foam.

Meanwhile Amy continues on the rust treatment, now fixing up the few dings and patches of rust on the outside of the van.

Laying foam strips and underlay underneath the new floor panels
Rusted dents and scratches on the roof where the previous owner has encountered some low-hanging branches
Prepping the rusted areas for treatment and new paint

2017-05-20: Rust treatment and cutting the floor

We didn’t have a whole lot of time this weekend, but made good progress doing some essential prep so we can get the new floor in.

Marking rust patches for treatment

Amy prepped the metalwork for rust treatment, and applied the POR-15 to all the minor inside patches of rust. It’s nothing serious, but we want to make sure all the rust in the inside is dealt with before we cover it in cladding or flooring, and never see it again.

Sanding down the rust patches to clean metal
Treated and repainted rust patches
Leaky trim clips before sealing

I cut closed cell foam for the floor insulation, plugged the leaky body trim clips with silicone, and cut some of the plywood floor panels to fit inside the van, using the old floor as a template.

Cutting plywood panels in the garden
One plywood floor panel, cut and painted

2017-05-14: Sound deadening and cleaning

More cleaning today as we prepped the walls for the Silent Coat Sound Deadening mats. I bought the 40 sheet, 4m² bulk pack of Silent Coat, working on the basis of heavy coverage of the wheel arches, but only about 25% coverage for the main body panels.

Over the course of a few hours on Sunday, and a few more on Monday evening, we applied most of the mats.

With a few mats to spare, we’ve left the doors and roof as they are, until we’ve decided where we’ll be removing panels for windows and vents.

Meanwhile, Amy has been cleaning off more of the green goo, and revealing rust patches around the back door.

2017-05-07: Cleaning the floor and removing ply lining

I spent the day on my hands and knees, cleaning up the oil, silicone and glue that the previous owners had split. A lot of it was on the floor lining, which I’ve removed, so no big deal, but plenty had seeped down under the floor panel onto the metal bed of the van, so I used paper towels, WD40, an old chisel, and lots of elbow grease to clean it up.

Taking the ply panels off the wall (just one wall for now) was a simpler task, and they walls themselves are in very good nick.

I did notice some water ingress at the bottom section of the wall, where the trim panels are mounted to the metal body with plastic clips that don’t appear to form a watertight seal. The problem has been detailed over on RadVanAdventures.com.

There’s no rust, and I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but we probably should seal up those clips.

That’s all the work for today. I’m planning the next steps now, which will be:

  • Deciding on a solar panel and where to mount it
  • Deciding on roof lights and ventilation, and where to fit them
  • Spec-ing out and buying some sound deadening mats
  • Planning the insulation

2017-05-06: Removing floor and bulkhead

We picked up the van yesterday from the dealer. Today it’s just me, as Amy is away. I started with the grotty jobs, removing the floor and the bulkhead. So far, no horrible surprises, though the previous owner seemsed to have butter fingers, spilling copious amounts of oil, silicone glue and McDonalds chips throughout the back of the van.

I was afraid it would be a nightmare pulling the floor up, but it wasn’t bad in the end. Tomorrow I hope I can get the ply lining off and clean up the muck.