2017-05-07: Cleaning the floor and removing ply lining

I spent the day on my hands and knees, cleaning up the oil, silicone and glue that the previous owners had split. A lot of it was on the floor lining, which I’ve removed, so no big deal, but plenty had seeped down under the floor panel onto the metal bed of the van, so I used paper towels, WD40, an old chisel, and lots of elbow grease to clean it up.

Taking the ply panels off the wall (just one wall for now) was a simpler task, and the walls themselves are in very good nick.

I did notice some water ingress at the bottom section of the wall, where the trim panels are mounted to the metal body with plastic clips that don’t appear to form a watertight seal. The problem has been detailed over on RadVanAdventures.com.

There’s no rust, and I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but we probably should seal up those clips.

That’s all the work for today. I’m planning the next steps now, which will be:

  • Deciding on a solar panel and where to mount it
  • Deciding on roof lights and ventilation, and where to fit them
  • Spec-ing out and buying some sound deadening mats
  • Planning the insulation